SOCIO – ECONOMIC PROFILE
A. Total Land Area 149.3981 hectares
North: Brgy. Garitan
South: Brgy. Gabur
East: Brgy. Cabugbugan
West: Brgy. Bario-an
C. Population 1,271 (as of 2015)
No. of Household
No. of Families 655
D. IRA – Php 1,456,513.00 as of 2016
According to some old folks and historians in the barangay like Mr. Emilio Somera, Sr. ( a former Tinyente del Barrio from 1948 to 1971), the barangay was baptized by the late Jose Bunoan Sr. The word “Ranget” came from the Ilocano word “NAGRARANGETAN” which means a “place where people fought”. The northern part of the barangay now called the “NAGMISAAN” is where the Spaniards and Black Americans soldiers fought during World War I. During the said war, the weapon of the Filipino soldiers were only bolos, so they needed the help of the Black Americans to fight for our freedom against the Spaniards.
Year 1945 after World War II, the barangay was still headed by a “Tinyente del Barrio” with only one barangay police who holds the “Tangguyob” (Carabao Horn) which they used to call the Barangay Folks during meetings or any activities. To name a few of those who served as Tinyente del Barrio were the late Juan & Lino Labiano, Julio Lamorena, Jose Latorre and Mr. Emilio Somera, Sr., who is still alive and have served the most number of years (22 years in service). These politicians served voluntarily because an honorarium was not yet being given during those times. A project for the barangay was given by the higher government in the form of materials and was being implemented by the barangay folks through “bayanihan”. They also used gas as fuel for their lighting needs. Primary Education (until grade 4) was extended at St. Paul School (now Cabugbugan Community school) founded by CICM priests and sisters.
Transportation during the early days was through a “karitela”, but most of the time people walked through rice fields going to the town proper. Construction of road (from Barangay Lacong to Barangay Lubnac) began during the term of Mayor Jose Bunoan Sr.
It was during the time of the late President Ferdinand Marcos when the barangay was already headed by a Barangay Captain with seven(7) Kagawads. It was also during this time that the higher government gave funds to every barangay. It was in the years 1992 & 1993, the last 2 years in service of the late Jose Lanuza as Brgy. Captain, when honoraria was given to every barangay officials.Concreting of roads going to the barangay began during the term of Mayor Ricardo de la Cruz, and from then on the barangays were developing through the various projects implemented by barangay officials, the municipal government and even from the provincial government.